DATA ANALYSIS AND INSTRUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS FOR EVALUATING RAIL JOINTS AND RAIL FASTENERS IN URBAN TRACKS
Rail fasteners for concrete ties and direct fixation and bolted rail joints have been identified as key components for improving track performance. However, the lack of statistical load data limits the development of improved design criteria and evaluation tests. This report evaluates the data required for design, laboratory tests, and for the development and verification of analytical models of fastener and joint performance. Available track instrumentation is reviewed for fulfilling these requirements, and functional specifications have been developed for improved tie plate load cells and instrumented wheels. Also included are recommendations for data analysis and data processing procedures and test site selection criteria needed to plan and conduct comprehensive measurement programs.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Research, Development and Demonstration
Washington, DC United States 20590
- PRAUSE, R H
- Harrison, H D
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 156 p.
- TRT Terms: Bolted joints; Bolts; Concrete; Concrete slab track; Concrete ties; Data collection; Design; Equipment tests; Failure; Fasteners; Instrumentation; Joints (Engineering); Loads; Mathematical models; Rail fasteners; Rail joints; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Trafficability; Train track dynamics; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Joints junctions; Test equipment; Track response investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00136979
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-75-2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-563
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 11 1981 12:00AM