ESTIMATING THE EFFECTS OF URBAN TRAVEL POLICIES
The report presents models and procedures for quick evaluation of transportation policy options on urban travel behavior. The methods described in this report can be used to estimate the travel demand effects of a wide variety of transportation policy instruments with currently available data in a matter of hours, or minutes, with the aid of a calculator. To evaluate the effects of a transportation policy, travel is separated into work and nonwork purposes. The work travel section of the report describes procedures for applying disaggregate logic models to generally available grouped data. To analyze the effects of policies on nonwork travel, a disaggregate travel demand model is estimated which is designed to be broadly applicable to a variety of planning and data contexts. Both the work and nonwork trip demand models and procedures are exercised on sets of policy issues which are of current interest, including gasoline taxes, parking restrictions, transit service improvements and the introduction of new modes. Where appropriate, travel demand elasticities with respect to level of service changes are computed.
- Sponsored in part by Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy, Plans and International Affairs (DOT), Washington, D.C.
CHARLES RIVER ASSOCIATESCAMBRIDGE, MA USA
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- DUNBAR, F C
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 196 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Disaggregate analysis; Elasticity (Mechanics); Estimating; Gasoline; Level of service; Mathematical models; Parking; Parking facilities; Policy; Public transit; Taxation; Taxes; Transportation; Transportation policy; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data; Services; Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Disaggregate models
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00136917
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-OST-76-10
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-964
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1981 12:00AM