THE GRAND RAPIDS DIAL-A-RIDE. A DEMAND RESPONSIVE COMMUNITY SERVICE TRANSPORTATION PROJECT
This is the final report of a demonstration project, conducted in Grand Rapids, Michigan, from June 1971 through August 1974. The purpose of the project was to develop a demand-responsive public transportation system which would supplement the existing fixed-route, fixed-schedule transit operations. The system was primarily oriented to the inner-city poor and elderly residents and their needs for travel to jobs, health and social service facilities, and cultural and recreational activities. The chapters of the report are: introduction; operating plan summary; dispatching and evaluation design; operations and training; interim results from summer operation; final results from 13 month full operation; and conclusions. Appendices are 'Transportation Inventory Survey of the Grand Rapids Model Neighborhood' and 'Model Cities Evaluation Report.'
- Prepared in cooperation with Ford Motor Co., Dearborn, Mich.
Grand Rapids City Demonstration AgencyModel Cities Program
Grand Rapids, MI United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Ford Motor Company23400 Michigan Avenue
Dearborn, MI United States 48124
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 118 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Central business districts; Communities; Demand responsive transportation; Demonstration projects; Fixed routes; Low income groups; Minorities; Neighborhoods; Paratransit services; Public transit; Recreational facilities; Scheduling; Transportation disadvantaged persons; Transportation operations; Travel demand; Urban transportation; Work trips
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons; Inner cities; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Michigan
- Old TRIS Terms: Central city
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00136916
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-MI-06-0004-74-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1981 12:00AM