CONCRETE TUNNEL LINERS: STRUCTURAL TESTING OF SEGMENTED LINERS
Tests of three circular segmented steel-fiber-reinforced concrete tunnel liners are described. They were 10 ft outside diameter and loaded with hydraulic rams in a manner that approximates a ground loading. There were six segments and a key in each ring and the segments were ribbed to allow bolting them together. Two tests were on single rings of segments and the third was on 3 rings bolted together. A series of beams that were designed to fail in shear and made of steel-fiber-reinforced concrete were tested. The results are used to develop a means for predicting shear strength of liner segments subjected to moment and thrust as well as shear. Segment joints similar to those used in the liner tests were subjected to eccentrically applied thrust in a testing machine so that thrust and moment were present in varying combinations at the joint. These joints were also cast of steel-fiber-reinforced concrete, and methods are presented to calculate their strength. These methods are then compared with the test results.
- See also PB-252 935.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Paul, S L
- Sinnamon, G K
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 173 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Calculation; Concrete; Concrete construction; Fiber reinforced concrete; Fibers; Joints (Engineering); Loads; Metal fibers; Precast concrete; Reinforced concrete; Shear strength; Steel; Testing; Thrust; Tunnel lining; Tunnels; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation
- Old TRIS Terms: Joint; Liners; Rams; Segmented elements; Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00136899
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UILU-ENG-75-2013 Final Rpt., FRA/ORD-75-93
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30022
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1976 12:00AM