REFERENCE MANUAL AND GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIFICATION FOR A PROTOTYPE ELECTRONIC DATA INTERCHANGE SYSTEM
Implementation of an electronic data interchange system between shippers, carriers, forwarders, banks, and other transportation related organizations will involve executive level decisions, management level participation, and technical level involvement. This Reference Manual and General Communications Specification is designed to meet the needs of these different groups for an overview of the requirements for electronic data interchange, a summary of the communications technology and services, and a set of definitions and descriptions for the technical terms which are involved in communications. Finally, it provides an initial set of specifications for the communications subsystem for the prototype electronic data interchange system design. The initial specifications are designed to afford a level of industry-wide compatibility which is achievable with modest effort in the short term, but which will not inhibit future growth.
- See also PB-252 937.
Transportation Data Coordinating CommitteeSuite 309, 1101 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Department of TransportationOffice of Facilitation, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- CARLEY, J
- Notto, R
- Bass, E
- Kreithen, A
- Guilbert, E
- Publication Date: 1976-4-30
- Pagination: 169 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Broadband; Common carriers; Communications; Data communications; Executives; Facsimile; Freight transportation; Guidelines; Highway transportation; Industries; Information organization; Information processing; Information systems; Management; Manuals; Multiplexing; Railroad transportation; Specifications; Technical assistance; Telecommunications; Teletext systems; Transportation; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data links; Information exchange
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Network synthesis; Teletypewriter systems; Transmission circuits
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00136822
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50017
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM