A COMPREHENSIVE RAILROAD SAFETY REPORT (INCLUDING AN ANALYSIS OF THE STATE PARTICIPATION PROGRAM)
The report describes the mission of the Federal/state joint railroad safety enforcement program, its status as of June 30, 1975, and plans thru fiscal year 1981. Major emphasis is placed upon the state role in the grant program established under Section 206 of the Federal Railroad Safety Act of 1970. Detailed contents are prescribed in Section 203 of the Rail Safety Improvement Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-633). In brief, Section 203 calls for a review and projection of Federal railroad standards; an identification of any alternative cost-effective methods for inspection; a description of current and planned State railroad programs; an analysis of total staffing requirements; a discussion of program problems and recommendations for legislation; a description of regulations and a projection of rail shipments of radioactive materials. The report, dealing largely with the enforcement countermeasure to ensure safety, represents a portion of the total system approach that is utilized by the Department of Transportation addressed to the goal of accident reduction.
- Special Report to the President and Congress, 1976-1981.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 359 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Cost effectiveness; Federal assistance programs; Freight transportation; Hazardous materials; Inspection; Legislation; Prevention; Radioactive materials; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Regulations; Safety; Safety and security; Safety engineering; Standards; State departments of transportation; Transportation safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Government regulations; Track standards
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Law; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00136814
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/RSS-7601 One-Time
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-53060
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM