REPAIR OF CONCRETE WITH POLYMERS
The use of polymers was investigated for repairing cracked or damaged concrete. Several monomer systems, using methyl methacrylate as the primary monomer, were studied. The variables investigated included relative moisture content, crack width, monomer viscosity, concrete temperature, and the use of sand fillers. In many cases the original flexural strength of the plain concrete could be restored by the repair. The repair of reinforced beams that had been loaded to failure was investigated. Failure modes were flexural and diagonal tension. Sand filler was used with a monomer solution that cured at ambient temperatures. The freeze-thaw durability of repaired non-reinforced slabs was studied to determine the effect of crack width, monomer systems, and surface impregnation and the use of sand fillers. Several bridge abutments have been repaired using the techniques developed. A summary of the repairs is given.
- Sponsored in part by Texas Highway Dept., Austin. Planning and Research Div. Prepared in cooperation with Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C. Report on Polymer-Impregnated Concrete for Highway Application.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Highway Research, 200 West 21st Street
Austin, TX USA 78712
Washington, DC USA 20590
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspDivision of Planning and Research, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX USA 78763
- Jaber, M M
- Fowler, D W
- Paul, D R
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Bridges; Concrete; Concrete bridges; Concrete pavements; Cracking; Durability; Failure; Fillers (Materials); Flexural strength; Maintenance; Methyl methacrylate; Moisture content; Monomers; Polymer concrete; Polymers; Polymethyl methacrylate; Reinforced concrete; Repairing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete beams; Concrete cracking; Injection; Reinforced concrete beams; Repairs
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge repairs; Methlymethacrylate
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00136808
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CFHR-3-9-71-114-3 Res. Rept.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM