SURVEY OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES IN THE MIDSTATE CONNECTICUT RIVER ESTUARY COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH PLANNING REGION
Patterns of emergency medical care in the Midstate Connecticut River Estuary planning region are presented by the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health of the Yale University School of Medicine. The study team, consisting of four graduate students, obtained data from emergency room logs, emergency service and hospital clinic medical records, reports issued by various facilities and government agencies including the U.S. Census Bureau, and questionnaires addressed to hospital emergency services and ambulance services. Demographic and diagnostic characteristics were analyzed of patients seeking emergency medical care at facilities within the planning region as well as hospitals in adjacent towns. Service capabilities of the available emergency transportation and communications networks were assessed, and attempts were made to analyze the level of training of personnel staffing the several commercial and volunteer ambulance companies utilized by area residents. Due to manpower and time limitations, cost factors of emergency medical services were not determined, and reference is made to a relevant previous study. A list of services provided at the one general hospital serving the area is presented, together with a description of a satellite clinic operated by the hospital, and the future roles of these two facilities in providing emergency medical care are discussed. Tables present supplementary data, and references are listed. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
Yale UniversityDepartment of Epidemology and Public Health
New Haven, CT USA 06520
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Ambulances; Data collection; Demographics; Disasters and emergency operations; Emergency medical services; Emergency vehicles; Health care; Health care facilities; Health care services; Hospitals; Medical services; Personnel; Regional planning; Regions; Research; States; Surveys; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Emergency services
- Geographic Terms: Connecticut
- Old TRIS Terms: Health care delivery; State regions
- Subject Areas: Research; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00136651
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM