DYNAMIC RAILROAD FREIGHT CAR MONITORING SYSTEM
The patent relates to a monitoring system that provides an engineer of a freight train with a real time picture of the coupling extensions of selected cars distributed throughout the entire length of his train. Located between each selected pair of cars is a sensor that detects whether a Buff (compressed) or a Draft (stretched) condition exists at the coupling. Individual encoders associated with each of the sensors respond thereto by providing one of two uniquely coded outputs representing, respectively, either a Draft or Buff condition as detected by the sensor. The outputs of the encoders are relayed by individual transmitters to a receiver located at a control station. Coupled to the receiver is a decoder that decodes the incoming signals and energizes a display that furnishes the engineer with a dynamic indication of the coupling condition existing at each of the selected points along the train.
- Supersedes PB-234 769.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Vrabel, J D
- Gosselin, D W
- Sussman, E D
- Ofsevit, D S
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Detectors; Freight cars; Information display systems; Locomotive engineers; Locomotive operation; Locomotive operations; Measuring instruments; Monitoring; Patents; Railroad cars; Railroad trains; Real time control; Train operation; Train track dynamics; Transmission
- Uncontrolled Terms: Monitors
- Old TRIS Terms: Display devices; Locomotive engineer's tasks; Radio transmission; Real time operation; Slack action
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00136639
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-494 098 Patent, PATENT-3 905 012
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM