MAGNETIC GRADIENT VEHICLE DETECTOR
The patent describes a metallic object detection apparatus. The detection apparatus comprises a transmitter which radiates electromagnetic energy to a receiving means which has a substantially zero voltage induced therein when a metallic object is not magnetically coupled to the transmitter and the receiving means. When a metallic object becomes magnetically coupled to the electromagnetic field radiating from the transmitter, eddy currents are induced in the metallic structure of the metallic object which in turn induce a non zero voltage within the receiving means.
- Supersedes PB-230 627. Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, D.C. 20231. The date, October 7, 1975, is date of issue of the patent.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mills, M K
- Publication Date: 1975-10-7
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Detectors; Eddy currents; Electromagnetic properties; Highway traffic control; Magnetic detectors; Patents; Radio transmitters; Vehicle detectors
- Old TRIS Terms: Magnetic detection; Magnetic vehicle detector
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00136638
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-0453 332,, PATENT-3 911 389
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 2002 12:00AM