RETROFIT AIR CONDITIONING OF SUBWAY CARS
Recognizing the desirability of air conditioning as an inducement to attract patrons and offer them amenities that make rail mass transit comfortable as well as convenient, new car orders specify inclusion of air conditioning equipment (where climatic conditions justify consideration). Married pair cars and shared undercar equipment paired cars, as well as improved packaging, permit relatively easy installation in new vehicle purchases. The challenge is to air condition existing subway cars whose remaining life precludes replacement. Resolution of complicated design and retrofit problems faced by the New York City Transit Authority in its effort to develop a method of air conditioned cars on its IRT Division are described in this paper.
Transit Development Corporation, Incorporated1730 M Street, NW, Suite 911
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Greene, F S
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Cooling equipment; Electric power supply; Installation; Passenger comfort; Public transit; Rapid transit cars; Retrofitting; Transportation operations
- Identifier Terms: New York City Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Subject Areas: Energy; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00136604
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TDC/500-75/7 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1981 12:00AM