NON-CONTACTING ANGULAR POSITION DETECTOR
The patent concerns novel and improved methods and apparatus to measure the angular position of a body relative to a preselected axis. The angle between a small radio frequency coil and a spatially uniform magnetic field is measured and a signal commensurate with the measured angle is employed in a computation of angular position. The apparatus employed in the angle measurement is characterized by a DC frequency response whereby an output signal is produced in the absence of motion between the coil and field. The technique and apparatus of the invention are particularly well suited for use in testing of safety devices such as automotive restraint systems, including safety belts, harnesses, air bags, and the like.
- Supersedes PB-216 156. Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, D.C. 20231 $0.50.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Horner, J L
- Plank, G R
- Publication Date: 1972-3-1
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Air bags; Angularity; Automobiles; Automotive engineering; Bags; Equipment tests; Inflatable structures; Manual safety belts; Measuring instruments; Patents; Restraint systems; Safety equipment
- Uncontrolled Terms: Angles
- Old TRIS Terms: Angles geometry; Harness; Passenger restraints; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00136524
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-230702 Patent, PATENT-3 786 458
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM