MICROWAVE CRASH SENSOR FOR AUTOMOBILES
The patent concerns a vehicle safety system in which a bistatic Doppler system senses objects in the path of the vehicle and activates a passenger restraint device, such as an inflatable 'air-bag' in response thereto. In another preferred embodiment, the Doppler system is combined with mechanical sensing apparatus to deploy the restraint device during lower speed collisions. In addition, a system is disclosed that deploys a passenger restraint device only in response to simultaneous signals from two Doppler systems.
- Supersedes PB-216 502. Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, D.C. 20231 $0.50.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Holmstrom, F Ross
- Hopkins, J B
- Publication Date: 1973
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Activation (Chemistry); Air bags; Automatic control; Bags; Collisions; Crash injury research; Crash sensors; Doppler navigation; Doppler radar; Inflatable structures; Manual safety belts; Microwaves; Motor vehicles; Patents; Protection; Research; Restraint systems; Safety equipment; Vehicle safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Activation; Doppler system; Inflatable devices; Passenger restraints; Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00136523
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-211579 Patent, PATENT-3 760 415
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM