AN ANALYSIS OF TAXICAB OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS
The purpose of this report is to present the results of a survey of taxicab operating characteristics conducted during the fall of 1974. It presents the most extensive effort undertaken to date to gather statistics for the taxicab industry. Prior to this time studies were based upon small specialized samples, so there is no basis for comparison with previous studies which, according to the authors, probably tended to underestimate the total taxicab population in the United States. A mail questionnaire was sent to active operators, of whom 696 (10.8%) responded. In spite of this rather low response rate, the sample provides broad geographic coverage and represents all sizes of operations. General industry characteristics are examined. Fare structures are also studied.
- Prepared by Wells Research Co., Silver Spring, Md.
International Association of Taxicabs,
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Wells Research Company8620 Fenton Street
Silver Spring, MD USA 20910
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Common carriers; Economic conditions; Fares; Labor relations; Level of service; Management; Operations; Passenger transportation; Prices; Questionnaires; Statistics; Taxicabs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic surveys
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00136508
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IL-06-0029-75-2
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 2003 12:00AM