STUDY OF AN ULTRASONIC VORTEX FLOWMETER FOR MEASUREMENT OF MOBILE SOURCE MASS EMISSIONS. PHASE II. CONTINUOUS MASS MEASUREMENT SYSTEM
This report documents Phase II of a study to demonstrate that a Ultrasonic Vortex Flowmeter (UVF) could be used to provide real-time, continuous plotting of mass emission rates and fuel consumption rates. The accuracy of the system was evaluated by performing 41 simultaneous continuous mass emission and Constant Volume Sampling (CVS) bag measurements. Reasonably high correlation coefficients (> .92) were obtained for HC and CO. Slightly lower correlation coefficients (about .90) were obtained for CO2 and NOx. Rather low correlation coefficients (about 0.70) were obtained for fuel consumption. Although high correlation coefficients were obtained each parameter showed considerable point-to-point variation between the CVS and the continuous mass measurement method of analysis. The average of the differences between predicted CVS values calculated from the regression equation and the actual CVS value was approximately + or - 20% for HC and CO, + or - 50% for NOx and approximately + or - 10% for CO2 and fuel consumption.
- See also Phase 1 dated 1 Nov 74, PB-237 112.
Olson Laboratories, Incorporated421 East Cerritos Avenue
Anaheim, CA United States 92805
Coordinating Research Council, Incorporated30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY United States 10020
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: 193 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Automobiles; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Computer programming; Concentration (Chemistry); Correlation analysis; Exhaust gases; Flow; Flow measurement; Flowmeters; Fuel consumption; Gases; Hydrocarbons; Information processing; Mass; Measurement; Monitoring; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Pollutants; Samplers; Ultrasonic tests; Vortices
- Uncontrolled Terms: Gas flow
- Old TRIS Terms: Emission rates; Mass flow
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Energy; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00136506
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., CRC-APRAC-CAPE-22-72-2
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM