INSULATION FOR PIPING
A foamed insulation for cryogenic pipe lines comprised of a pair of preformed, semicircular foamed insulation half-sections is described. The faying surfaces are coated with a polyurethane adhesive and bonded together about the pipe. The faying surfaces of the pipe and inner radii of the half-sections are not bonded together. The ends of the foamed insulation half-sections are tapered and a knitted outer material is stretched over the pipe, the tapered ends, and the body of the mated half- sections and extends over the pipe beyond each tapered end. A polyurethane resin coating is applied to the knitted outer material to form a seal and prevent air circulation through the half-sections and provide abrasion resistance. A process of insulating a cryogenic pipe line and a process for forming the preformed insulation half- sections is also described.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing.
National Aeronautics and Space AdministrationLyndon B. Johnson Space Center
Houston, TX United States 77058
- Lerma, G
- Publication Date: 1975-12-23
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Cryogenic materials; Electric insulating materials; Foams; Insulating materials; Insulation systems; Liquefied natural gas; Pipe; Pipelines
- Old TRIS Terms: Foam insulation; Insulated pipelines; Lng insulation; Lng piping; Pipe insulation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials; Pipelines; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00136287
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: N76-16245/2 Pat. Appl.
- Contract Numbers: NAS9-14000
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM