TRAILING TONNAGE THAT CAN BE MOVED ON VARIOUS GRADES AND CURVES BEHIND LIGHTWEIGHT (EMPTY) LONG CARS
The relationships between drawbar and lateral forces for 89 feet are calculated. TTKX cars coupled to 50 feet box cars are shown on graphs for both 60 inches and 43 inches couplers with the 21 inches couplers on the 50 feet cars. From these relationships were computed the trailing tonnages that may be moved on various grades and curves behind empty automobile rack cars and empty or part-load flat cars 85 feet long or longer. These tonnages are calculated to keep the L/V ratios on these car combinations from exceeding the critical limits.
Norfolk and Western Railway8 North Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA USA 24011
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile rack cars; Box cars; Couplers; Curved track; Drawbars; Flat cars; Freight cars; Highway grades; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Slopes; Technology
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033296
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 7 1973 12:00AM