USE OF MICROWAVE ENERGY FOR THAWING LOADED HOPPER CARS OF FROZEN COAL
The difficulties experienced with unloading hopper cars of frozen coal has led the Norfolk and Western Railway Company to join with the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company in a development venture with the Raytheon Company to investigate the possibility of thawing these loaded cars frozen coal by using microwave energy. Tests of this process indicated its possible success, and tests under actual field conditons will have to be made now to determine the practicability of this method. The potential savings from this method are considered sufficient to warrant continuation of this project.
- Letter correspondence.
Norfolk and Western Railway8 North Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA United States 24011
- Publication Date: 1970-9-12
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Freight cars; Freight trains; Freight transportation; Hopper cars; Railroad cars; Railroad trains; Technology; Thaw
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033290
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 7 1973 12:00AM