STRUCTURAL CLEARANCE MEASURING CAR WITH SCANNING CAMERA
The Structural Clearance System consists of a rail-highway station wagon equipped with special optical devices that will record minimum clearance data on structures photographically. The clearance data on the obstruction contours are read directly from the exposed negative by means of a special film reader on a calibrated grid scale. Indexing marks on the grid scale permit precise alignment of the negative, providing data accuracies to within 1/2 inch. Actual tests on the Norfolk and Western Railway Company property were not successful, with many difficulties having been encountered. No worth while data could be gathered and the equipment was returned to the manufacturer.
- Letter correspondence, File NIWRR.
Norfolk and Western Railway8 North Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA USA 24011
- Publication Date: 1970
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Equipment design; Equipment tests; Field tests; Maintenance of way; Proximity detectors; Technology; Tunnels
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Test equipment; Track maintenance equipment
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00033288
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1976 12:00AM