CITIZENS BAND COMMUNICATION MANUAL: HELP IS NEAR
This manual which was developed to assist states and communities in the preparation of operational plans required for participation in the National Emergency Aid Radio (NEAR) program, specifies the procedures and defines the criteria for organizing and implementing Citizens Band (CB) radio operations. NEAR (the CB radio program for highway safety) will reduce response time by augmenting and supplementing existing private citizen access to an emergency response system when seeking assistance, and facilitate means for the motorist to receive information and report conditions concerning motorist safety. The funding criteria for NEAR programs are reviewed, and program development and operational aspects are outlined. The procedures for development of a state program consist of 7 action items: the establishing of state level organization; surveying of local emergency systems; preparation of a comprehensive NEAR plan; establishment of a NEAR system; identification of deficiencies in local emergency systems; determination of priorities and provision of funding for support of local activities to upgrade NEAR monitoring; and the establishment of procedures for periodic evaluation of the NEAR program and refinement of the state plan.
- This report is Addendum III, to Highway Safety Program Manual, Volume II.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-4-15
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 92 p.
- TRT Terms: Citizen band radio; Communication systems; Disasters and emergency operations; Emergency response time; Evaluation; Highway safety; Implementation; Information systems; Manuals; Monitoring; Motorist aid systems; Operations; Radio; Reaction time; Strategic planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Emergency services; Fund allocations
- Old TRIS Terms: Data systems
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research;
- Accession Number: 00135876
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1976 12:00AM