OIL: STUDY OF POLLUTION INSURANCE LIABILITY LAWS
This paper describes and evaluates existing liability schemes affecting vessels, deepwater ports, onshore and offshore facilities. The insurance arrangements that cover such liabilities receive particular attention. A discussion of the central issues, both theoretical and practical, culminates in a comparative analysis of the two key proposals pending before Congress. This study should also be useful to state and local government officials and citizens' groups concerned about the liability problem that will escalate along with increased tanker traffic and new Outer Continental Shelf development. The Appendix includes a draft state liability law designed to coexist with and complement the new federal liability law.
Environmental Policy Institute200 Third Street, SE
Washington, DC United States 20003
- Lipeles, M
- Publication Date: 1975-10-10
- Pagination: 69 p.
- TRT Terms: Liability; Liability insurance; Oil spills; Pollution; Pollution control; Regulation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Law; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00135863
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Environmental Policy Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Res. Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM