AN EVALUATION OF THE CALIFORNIA DRIVER KNOWLEDGE TEST AND THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN ITEM POOL
The purpose of this study was to evaluate both the written DMV driver licensing test, and a large sample of driver knowledge test items selected from the University of Michigan's HSRI item pool. Test forms were administered to 48,000 California drivers license applicants. The variables analyzed were subject's sex, age, education, annual mileage, and prior six year driving record in relationship to test form and item scores. New test forms were created and were compared to DMV forms. For each test form, the highest test score correlation obtained was with applicant's education, although education had no relationship to accidents or convictions. For all DMV test forms combined, correlations of total scores with driving record variables were all significant, indicating renewal applicants with better prior driving records obtained higher test scores. Original drivers license applicants scored lower than renewal applicants. HSRI items and test forms were more related to applicant's biographical variables than were DMV items test forms. Forms created with HSRI items from the initial HSRI item pool screening were less related to driving record than DMV forms. Final forms, created with items that were the most accident related, were no more or less related to driving record than DMV forms.
California Department of Motor VehiclesResearch and Statistics Section
Sacramento, CA United States
- Carpenter, D W
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 247 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Driver records; Driving tests; Education; Gender; Vehicle miles of travel
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver license renewal
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00134725
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL-DMV-RSS-75-52 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: B0156
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1976 12:00AM