THE VALUE OF REAR LAMP SHIELDING
This paper describes an investigation of rear lamp shielding. The effect of shielding was compared with other variables, i.e., lamp intensity, color, background reflectance and signal configuration, under conditions of low and high sun angle. The results are complex, but the variable having the most effect on subject response was signal intensity. Shielding of rear signal lamps was of value, but under a more restricted set of circumstances than increased intensity.
- From Factors Influencing the Effectiveness of Automotive Rear Lighting Systems. Sponsored by The Vehicle Manufacturers Association, Incorporated, Detroit, Michigan.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Jorgenson, C M
- Olson, P L
- Publication Date: 1975-10-31
- Features: Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Brightness; Color; Rear lighting; Reflectivity; Sunlight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reflectance; Shielding
- Old TRIS Terms: Rear lights
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00134722
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 22 1976 12:00AM