THE VIN IN VEHICLE SECURITY AND THEFT RECOVERY
With automobile theft approaching one million annually in this country, automobile manufacturers are realizing the the importance of the vehicle identification number in combating this crime. Even though commercial auto thieves use sophisticated techniques to falsefy the VIN's on stolen vehicles, voluntary and required procedures are currently being employed by the manufacturers to counter these actions. Secondary and confidential markings can now provide the law enforcement agent with another tool to make positive identification of a suspect stolen vehicle. The VIN is still the only legal identification accepted in the courts to prove rightful ownership of a motor vehicle is this country.
- Proceedings of the Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, 23-27 Fig. 1976, Detroit, Michigan
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Campbell, R F
- Publication Date: 1976-2
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Identification systems; Law enforcement; Motor vehicles; Ownership; Theft; Vehicle theft; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Identification
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00134710
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE #760233
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 22 1976 12:00AM