DESIGN CHARTS FOR UNSYMMETRICALLY-REINFORCED RECTANGULAR COLUMNS
Forty eight charts are provided which enable rectangular columns that are reinforced unsymmetrically to be designed quickly and simply. The method of analysis employed is based on the assumption of a concrete "stress-block", the shape of which consists of a combination of a parabola and rectangle. No allowance has been made in the calculations for the area of concrete displaced by compression steel. The use of the charts which are virtually self explanatory is illustrated by 2 worked examples. Full details of the methematical derivation of the charts is given in the appendix. The general basis on which these charts have been prepared has been to assume values of N/bh and 100 Asc/bh, to evaluate the maximum bending moment factor M/bh (square) corresponding to these values, and thus to determine the appropriate arrangement of steel to achieve this moment.
Cement and Concrete Association52 Grosvenor Gardens
London SW1W 0AQ, England
- Steedman, J C
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bending moments; Bridge design; Bridges; Calculation; Charts; Columns; Concrete; Design; Reinforcement (Engineering); Steel; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00134675
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM