PREFERENTIAL LANES FOR HIGH-OCCUPANCY VEHICLES
The efforts are described and the results are presented of projects experimenting with preferential freeway lanes for high-occupancy vehicles (buses and carpools). The projects are designed to determine if such measures can, indeed, promote traffic flow, increase reliance on bus transit, encourage carpools, better serve the needs of the transit dependent, improve air quality and conserve energy. The San Bernardino Freeway Express Busway, the Marine County Bus Lanes, and the San Diego Busway are described, and the details are outlined of the trip purpose and frequency, economic and time savings, the vehicle miles saved, the effects on traffic and user reaction, violations, safety, and cost effectiveness. The combination bus and carpool projects at the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, the toll free lanes on the San Mateo-Hayward and Dumbarton Bridges, and preferential lanes in other freeways are reviewed. The results of the study indicate that properly-planned preferential treatment facilities can increase the people- carrying capacity of existing highways; decrease travel times for users; promote efficient bus operations and schedule reliabiity which, in turn, encourages patronage; and reduce individual commuting costs. Such preferential treatement can also provide better transportation for the transit dependent, be an aid to improving air quality and help in energy conservations.
5900 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA USA 95819
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: Appendices; Photos;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Bus transportation; Busways; Carpools; Conservation; Consumer behavior; Cost effectiveness; Energy; Expressways; Freeway operations; Safety; Traffic flow; Traffic lanes; Trip purpose; Vehicle miles of travel; Vehicle occupancy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Violations
- Old TRIS Terms: User reactions
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00134673
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1981 12:00AM