DRAFT GEAR RESEARCH IMPACT TESTS OF AAR APPROVED STANDARD POCKET DRAFT GEARS
This report describes an investigation conducted by the utilization of impacts made on eleven AAR approved (24-5/8 in.) standard pocket draft gears. During the study two gears of the same manufacturer were installed in two identical 50-ton box cars and impacted under test conditions of: (a) empty cars (no load), (b) half or medium load, and (c) full load. The draft gears investigated included six friction, three rubber, and two friction-rubber types. This investigation resulted in the development of a large volume of data related to such variables as force input, gear closure, stress distribution in the car underframe and car body, and load accelerations. Only a part of the data has been reduced and analyzed for this report. No attempt has been made to present any conclusions.
Chicago, IL USA 60605
- Publication Date: 1961-5
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Bolsters; Box cars; Collisions; Couplers; Freight cars; Gears; Impact loads; Railroad cars; Stresses; Technology; Vehicle dynamics; Velocity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Draft gears
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Car impact; Impact loading
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033249
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MR-348
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM