IMPLEMENTATION PACKAGE 73-3: SLOTTED CMP SURFACE DRAINS
Guidelines are presented for the design and construction of slotted corrugated metal pipe surface drains which have proven effective in the areas of safety, economy, hydraulic maintenance and aesthetics. The special grate slot design is recommended for areas which may be subjected to occasional motorcycle or bicycle traffic. In normal installations where sheet flow is intercepted, simple weir formulas can be used to check inlet capacities. In special cases where slotted drains are used in place of conventional drop inlets to pick channel flow, the slot acts as an orifice when depths reach 2.5 inches. While no unusual construction methods are requred to install slotted surface drains, extra care in material selection and in preparation of the bed, backfilling and compaction is required. In tight situations, a lean grout might be the most economical backfill. All coupling bands and the concrete plug or metal cap should be in place prior to backfilling. The best results are obtained by screeding directly over the 1-inch by 3-inch hood cover. Further construction details are listed in a sample specification.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Miller, A S
- Publication Date: 1973-7
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycles; Construction; Corrugations (Defects); Design; Flow; Grates; Guidelines; Holes; Implementation; Motorcycles; Screeds; Specifications; Surface drainage
- Uncontrolled Terms: Slotted holes
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Research;
- Accession Number: 00134665
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Rpt. No. 636453
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM