QUALITY OF RAILS AND MEANS OF GUARANTEEING IT; EXAMINATION OF THOMAS STEEL RAILS OF THE THIRD SERIES OF TESTS BY MEANS OF THE RALUS ULTRASONIC PROCEDURE; DOCUMENTARY REPORTS OF IRSID AND BAM
The investigation of the quality of steel rails and the means of guaranteeing it has been entrusted to the D 45 Specialists Committee at the request of the 7th UIC Commission. Two series of tests have already been made within the scope of this work. A third series of tests was then carried out on rails having shown a 'good' performance in the track and on those having shown a 'bad' performance, these performances being defined beforehand according to some accurate criteria. The definition tests and the special tests on the Thomas steel rails of this series have been dealt with in Interim Report No. 9. As many as possible of the Thomas steel rail samples of the third series of test have been examined by means of the RALUS ultrasonic equipment, developed by IRSID and designed for the automatic industrial ultrasonic inspection of the rail head. The results of this examination have been dealt with in this report (RP 10), which also contains a documentary report by IRSID on the RALUS method and one by BAM on the investigation of rails for non-metallic inclusions.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-11
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Defects; Inspection; Nondestructive tests; Rail (Railroads); Shelling (Metals); Technology; Ultrasonic tests
- Geographic Terms: Belgium; France; Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Fissures (Rails); Question d14; Rail inspection; Shelling; Shelling (Rails)
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00033215
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: D45/RP 10/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1976 12:00AM