MODERN NON-DESTRUCTIVE METHODS FOR MATERIALS TESTING-DOCUMENTARY REPORT
This report deals chiefly with flaw detection which is a small part of the wider science of non-destructive examination of metals. The Committee has kept strictly to its main objective which is to produce a balanced account of applications of non-destructive testing to railway problems. The directly practical part of the Committee's account is to be a catalogue of procedure charts describing and illustrating the methods actually used in the workshops of the various Administrations, and drawing attention to those which merit special recommendation. This catalogue will constitute Part 2 of the Committee's report (ORE report E 29/RP 2). The present documentary report is a single guide to the principles on which non-destructive testing is based and does not take the reader beyond the minimum of information required for a proper understanding of Part 2. Its production has nevertheless entailed a search among recent publications in several countries. It applies to cast, forged and rolled products, but does not include rails. The techniques of liquid penetrant, magnetic flux, ultrasonics, X-ray gamma ray, and eddy current testing are covered.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1961-7
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Eddy currents; Electromagnetic properties; Equipment tests; Fluxes; Inspection; Liquids; Motor vehicles; Nondestructive tests; Penetrants; Technology; Ultrasonic tests; Void ratios; X ray analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Magnetic flux
- Geographic Terms: France; Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Eddy current inspection; Gamma ray inspection; Liquid penetrant inspection; Percussion tests; Question e29; Test equipment; Void; X-ray inspection
- Subject Areas: Materials; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033209
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: E29/RP 1/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM