ASSESSMENT CRITERIA FOR THE PERMISSIBLE WEAR PROFILES OF WHEEL FLANGES AND SWITCH COMPONENTS
Studies include the investigation of the wear forms of a great number of worn wheel flanges used on various types of vehicles (passenger coaches, wagons, railcars, electric and diesel bogie locomotives) and of worn rails in areas containing points and crossings so as to obtain an adequate basis, adapted to practical demands, for arriving at a judgment. Starting from a characteristic wear profile of a flange a track gauge was developed, permitting the verification of the compatibility of the wear profiles of the ironwork of switches with such a flange. The measurements conducted using this gauge enable the development of wear forms of rails endangering the traffic to be detected (particularly in sections containing switches and stock rails) and they indicate, at the same time, how this risk can be eliminated and how their use can be prolonged by reprofiling operations. The result of the studies is that it will be possible to deduce, from an analysis of the geometry of the contact between flange wear shapes and track, the compatibility criteria adapted to practical conditions and only requiring simple measures to be taken on the wheel and the switch work items (checking by means of the gauge). This procedure will lead to a decisive improvement of the riding safety of vehicles.
- See also PB-251 504. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-4
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Defects; Derailments; Diesel locomotives; Dynamics; Electric locomotives; Freight cars; Inspection; Locomotives; Measuring instruments; Passenger cars; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Safety; Structural design; Tires; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design; Wear; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Switches; Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Question c70; Rail design; Rail inspection; Tire profile; Wheel defects; Wheel design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033208
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Report
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1977 12:00AM