MAINTENANCE OF THE WHEELSETS OF TRAILER STOCK. TESTS ON PASSENGER COACHES TO ASCERTAIN THE PERMISSIBLE OUT-OF-ROUNDNESS AND OUT-OF-BALANCE OF THE WHEELS OF THESE FOR SPEEDS OF BETWEEN 0 AND 250 KM/H
Previous reports contain the results of the tests carried out with a view to determining the permissible out-of-roundness and out-of-balance values for the wheel-set of trailer-stock, for running speeds comprised between 0 and 150 km/h. New tests have been carried out for speeds comprised between 0 and 250 km/h. These have consisted of bench-tests, carried out on the SNCF dynamic test-rig for vehicle suspensions at Vitry-sur-Seine, and have concerned 3 coaches (SNCF, DB and FS). In addition, line tests have been carried out with the SNCF coach; in a first series of tests a speed of 250 km/h was reached, while, in a second series of tests the running-speed was only 160 km/h. The results obtained have permitted the following limit values of plus minus 0.15 mm for the out-of-roundness and 0.125 kg.m for the out-of-balance per wheel (static balancing would seem to suffice in most cases) to be fixed, such that the comfort obtained with the three coaches is still acceptable. This is valid up to the speed of 250 km/h in the case of the DB and SNCF coaches and up to 220 km/h for the FS coach. It has also been found: a) that the test-bench used constituted a perfect reference basis and that it seem desirable to devise a better correlation between the excitation obtained on the track and that produced on the rig; b) that, for the purpose of determining the comfort, the whole of the floor of the coach should be covered by the examination, since, for speeds beyond 150 km/h, the body can present a complex vibratory system with several nodes; c) that, if it is whished to use a coach for high running speeds, it must be checked to see that, beyond a certain speed, there is no very sharp increase in all the recorded accelerations.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-10
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamics; High speed rail; High speed vehicles; Hunting (Dynamics); Passenger cars; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Railroad trains; Ride quality; Stability (Mechanics); Suspensions; Technology; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle dynamics; Velocity; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Vertical dynamics
- Geographic Terms: France; Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Flat wheels; High speed cars; Question b79; Running stability; Wheel balance
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00033204
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Rpt 9, Question B79
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 16 1976 12:00AM