PREVENTION OF DERAILMENT OF GOODS WAGONS ON DISTORTED TRACKS. STATISTICAL ENQUIRY RELATING TO THE PERMISSIBLE TRACK TWIST
The study of the permissible wheel load deviations and of the resultant characteristics for the goods wagons requires an exact knowledge of the existing track "twists". A statistical inquiry was made on the lines of the DB, the SNCF and the PKP. The inquiry has principally dealt with continuous measurements of existing track twists, related to a basis of 5.00 m (wheelbase of the recording coach), and a length of 1,820 km of track on the DB, 1,805 km on the SNCF and 1,955 km on the PKP has been examined. In each case, the measurements were made on tracks of all categories. The present report gives an account of the results of these measurements-each classified in "ranges of twist" of 1 degree/00-for twists exceeding 4 degrees/00. A statistical analysis, which is based on the assumption of a critical value of twist of 7 degrees/00, related to a base of 5.00 m, has been appended to the present report. This statistical analysis indicates, for the actual state of maintenance of the tracks and for a wagon running an average distance of 1,000 km, the probability of encountering at least "a" twists greater than the above mentioned limit. It also shows the possible reduction in risk to be expected through the application of special measures with regard to track maintenance and vehicle design. The following possibilities have been studied: a) stricter control of accident twists of dangerous magnitude; b) extention of the maintenance regulations for track category 2 to the lower categories of track; c) improving the adaption possibilities of the vehicles to track twists.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1965-6
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Crossovers; Curved track; Defects; Derailments; Distortion (Structures); Freight cars; Inspection; Inspection cars; Maintenance management; Maintenance of way; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Safety; Spirals; Stability (Mechanics); Statistical analysis; Structural design; Tangent track; Technology; Vehicle dynamics; Wheel loads
- Uncontrolled Terms: Maintenance costs; Track geometry
- Geographic Terms: France; Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Distortion; Question b55; Running stability; Track irregularities; Track maintenance equipment
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00033202
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: B55/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM