MATERIAL ALTERNATIVES FOR TODAY'S EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM
Two recently developed sheet products offer material cost savings opportunities of approximately $2.50 per typical car with catalytic conversion system. Galvalume sheet steel, an aluminum-zinc alloy coated sheet, has been used successfully for grass shields replacing type 1 aluminum coated sheet at an approximate savings of 25found/lb. Chromized sheet, which has diffused layer of ferritic stainless steel on both surfaces of a special low carbon sheet, is suggested as a substitute for 400 Series Stainless Steel at a material cost benefit of approximately 15found/lb. Exhaust inlet tubes and convertor sheels of Chromized have been successfully tested.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Blandy Jr, D E
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Alternatives analysis; Aluminum alloys; Automotive engineering; Catalytic converters; Chromium; Coatings; Costs; Materials tests; Zinc alloys
- Subject Areas: Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00133478
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE #750972
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM