BRIDGING THE INFORMATION GAP IN PUBLIC TRANSPORT
This paper examines the role of information in promoting the use of public transport, especially on the provision of bus services in the Strathclyde Region of Scotland. It first outlines the legislative framework under the 1985 Transport Act, governing the provision of bus services in the UK, and summarises national and local trends in patronage and the factors that influence it. This emphasises the important role of good information. The paper then considers the present roles and future plans of the Strathclyde Passenger Transport Executive (SPTE). The SPTE's role includes the provision of information for passengers. The SPTE has a main travel centre at St Enoch Square, Glasgow, and satellite travel centres at East Kilbride, Cumbernauld and Hillhead. Other facilities provided include: (1) a telephone enquiry service; (2) Glasgow's Electronic Information System, to provide a continual source of accurate and useful information on public transport services; and (3) the Inverclyde Area Pilot bus demonstration project. Planned future SPTE projects include: (1) the Public Transport Information System (PTIS); (2) the Buchanan Passenger Information System (PAXIS); and (3) the Strathclyde BusTime Project. For the covering abstract see IRRD 867900.
STRATHCLYDE REGIONAL COUNCILSTRATHCLYDE, United Kingdom
- HOGG, R A
- Publication Date: 1994
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Conferences; Data communications; Districts and authorities; Intelligent transportation systems; Legislation; Public transit; Transportation departments; Travelers
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1272: Bus; 8531: Case study; 8525: Conference; 8652: Data transmission (telecom); 1556: Legislation; 744: Public transport; 1755: Road user; 253: Transport authority; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00675106
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Mar 28 1995 12:00AM