NEW RETAINING WALL DESIGN CRITERIA BASED ON LATERAL EARTH PRESSURE MEASUREMENTS
A procedure for determination of the lateral earth pressure distribution to be used for computation of forces and moments acting on retaining walls which are fixed at their base and backfilled with cohesionless sand are developed. The procedure is based on the analysis of data collected from two instrumented full scale retaining walls. Data are presented covering a period of 1156 days for a cantilever wall founded on drilled shafts. The data consist of pressure cell and movement measurements for both walls. In addition, the force transmitted from the panel wall to its supporting pilasters was measured with force transducers. Structural design considerations and some recommended construction practices are included. Earth pressure distributions and wall movement data are compared with the results of Terzaghi's large scale retaining wall test. This comparison indicates that the foundation of the wall will prohibit the wall from tilting by an amount sufficient to reduce the earth pressures below the at rest value near the base of the wall. Thus for design purposes at-rest pressures are considered to act in this region. Earth pressure changes with time show a seasonal variation in pressure for both walls. The pressure on the panel wall increased as the panel moved outward after backfill. significant changes in pressure appear to result from the movement of construction equipment during backfill and afterward. However, vehicular traffic after construction did not produce measurable changes in pressure during the time periods covered. /FHWA/
- Report sponsored by the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation and FHWA/DOT.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Wright, W V
- Coyle, H M
- Bartoskewitz, R E
- Milberger, L J
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 113 p.
- TRT Terms: Cantilevers; Construction equipment; Data collection; Design; Earth pressure; Force; Measurement; Moments (Mechanics); Motion; Retaining walls; Structural design; Walls
- Uncontrolled Terms: Active earth pressure; Design criteria; Lateral pressure; Passive earth pressure
- Old TRIS Terms: Moments; Wall movement
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00133450
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI-2-5-71-169-4F Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 2-5-71-169
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM