TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FOR TRANSPORTATION PLANNERS IN THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The report evaluates the adequacy of existing technical assistance efforts aimed at transportation planners in the Department of Transportation and makes some recommendations on how the assistance can be improved. A model of a good technical assistance program with two basic components is proposed: (1) A structure consisting of the mechanisms necessary to transmit the technical expertise available to the users and to obtain feedback from them on the program; and (2) the substantive content of the program including the reports and studies generated by research and development efforts and other handbooks, guidelines, etc., of interest to the identified users. The conclusion with respect to structural adequacy is that components of a good technical assistance program are not found clearly identified in UMTA, FAA, or FRA. FHWA does have the necessary structural components of a good technical assistance program, but some improvement could be made in expanding the client group for their assistance. The conclusion with respect to content adequacy is that there are some gaps in the information available from FAA and FRA and that these gaps are not being addressed by the ongoing R and D.
Washington, DC USA 20591
- WILLIAMS, G
- Ensrud, N
- Maring, G
- Paulaus, N
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Development; Ground transportation; Mathematical models; Needs assessment; Planning; Railroad transportation; Research; Structural analysis; Technical assistance; Technology transfer; Training; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Research and development; Structural adequacy; User needs
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00133369
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-ASP-76-4 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM