AN ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF UPGRADING RAIL BRANCH LINES: A STUDY OF 71 LINES IN IOWA
The report summarizes results of research conducted to determine the economic benefits and costs of upgrading 71 rail lines in Iowa and to estimate the impact of abandonment of these rail lines upon communities and individual businesses in the state. A benefit-cost ratio was estimated for each line. Benefits to shippers and receivers were defined as the change in the annual net revenue from shipping the projected 1980 volume of grain, plus the change in costs for handling and transporting the projected 1980 volume of all other products if the line were upgraded rather than abandoned. The effect of railroad abandonment upon communities, elevators, and businesses that had lost their rail lines prior to 1970 was measured. In addition, the impact of rail abandonment on highways, safety, and fuel consumption was estimated.
- Prepared by Iowa State Univ. of Science and Technology, Ames.
Iowa Department of Transportation800 Lincoln Way
Ames, IA USA 50010
Iowa State University, Ames2711 South Loop Drive
Ames, IA USA 50010-8664
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Baumel, C P
- Miller, J J
- Drinka, T P
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 577 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Branch lines; Costs; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Grain; Maintenance; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Revenues; Rural areas; Socioeconomic factors; Subsidies; Traffic managers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Shippers
- Geographic Terms: Iowa
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Finance; Freight Transportation; Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00133322
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-76-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-55045
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM