TRANSBUS PUBLIC TESTING AND EVALUATION PROGRAM
The report describes the public testing and evaluation component of the overall Transbus test program. Three manufacturers--AM General, GMC and ROHR Industries each built three prototype Transbuses. The No. 3 prototype from each manufacturer was evaluated by the public in Miami, New York, Kansas City and Seattle during the period October 1974 - April 1975. Reactions were obtained from the general public (riders and non-riders), the operating personnel and the handicapped. Reaction of all three groups was favorable toward the inherent features of the Transbus--low steps for boarding and alighting, big windows, wide doors. Bus drivers were favorable toward the handling and braking of all three buses and the driver seat comfort and visibility from the seat. The handicapped, including those in wheel chairs were able to board by means of a ramp (ROHR), a lift device (GMC) or by level boarding from a sidewalk platform (AMG). Reactions of the handicapped to these devices are included in the report. Other measurements made during the program included the time wear, fuel consumption and incidence of failure.
- Prepared by Simpson and Curtin, Philadelphia, Pa.
Booz-Allen Applied Research, Incorporated4733 Bethesda Avenue
Bethesda, MD United States 20014
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: 246 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic lift; Bus drivers; Buses; Comfort; Dielectric properties; Doors; Environment; Fuel consumption; Manufacturing; Metropolitan areas; Passengers; Performance tests; Persons with disabilities; Project management; Prototypes; Public opinion; Quality control; Ramps; Service life; Surveys; Urban transportation; Vehicle design; Visibility; Wheelchairs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lifts; Projects
- Geographic Terms: Florida; New York (State); Washington (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Transbus
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Design; Energy; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00133312
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0025-76-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-10008
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1981 12:00AM