LEAN MIXTURE ENGINES TESTING AND EVALUATION PROGRAM. VOLUME III: APPENDICES
This report is aimed at defining analytically and demonstrating experimentally the potential of the 'lean-burn concept.' Fuel consumption and emissions data are obtained on the engine dynamometer for the baseline engine, and two lean-burn configurations of the same engine and data comparisons are made. Individual cylinder equivalence ratios are measured to evaluate the cylinder-to-cylinder distribution. Pressure-time traces from individual cylinders are used to get information about ignition delay, combustion duration and cycle-to-cycle pressure variations. Fuel consumption and emissions data for one lean-burn configuration are obtained over the Federal Driving Cycle using a chassis dynamometer and the results are compared with the stock baseline results. Using experimental results and information from the existing literature, the potential of the 'lean-burn concept' is assessed using the Blumberg-Kummer cycle analysis program. The appendices presents supplemental analysis methods, fuel economy and emissions test data, and a description of the instrumentation used in the testing and evaluation program.
- See also PB-251 766.
Jet Propulsion LaboratoryCalifornia Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA USA 91103
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Dowdy, M W
- Hoehn, F W
- Vanderburg, T G
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Chassis; Chemical analysis; Combustion; Combustion chambers; Data collection; Dynamometers; Exhaust gases; Experiments; Fuel consumption; Gases; Graphics; Hydrocarbons; Ignition; Lean fuel mixtures; Measuring instruments; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Physical distribution; Pressure; Resource extraction; Shape; Testing; Testing equipment; Time; Traffic equivalence factor; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Configuration; Extraction (Chemistry); Laboratory equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Combustion chamber gases; Graphic methods; Lean fuel engine
- Subject Areas: Energy; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00133309
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JP 85040-12-Vol-3, DOT-TSC-OST-75-26.III
- Contract Numbers: Contract Ra-74-38-T
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM