LEAN MIXTURE ENGINES TESTING AND EVALUATION PROGRAM. VOLUME I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This report is aimed at defining analytically and demonstrating experimentally the potential of the 'lean-burn concept'. Fuel consumption and emissions data are obtained on the engine dynamometer for the baseline engine, and two lean-burn configurations of the same engine and data comparisons are made. Individual cylinder equivalence ratios are measured to evaluate the cylinder-to-cylinder distribution. Pressure-time traces from individual cylinders are used to get information about ignition delay, combustion duration and cycle-to-cycle pressure variations. Fuel consumption and emissions data for one lean-burn configuration are obtained over the Federal Driving Cycle using a chassis dynamometer and the results are compared with the stock baseline results. Using experimental results and information from the existing literature, the potential of the 'lean-burn concept' is assessed using the Blumberg-Kummer cycle analysis program. The report consists of three volumes. Volume I, the Executive Summary, presents a summary of the experimental equipment and procedure, together with the experimental results and conclusions.
- See also PB-251 766.
Jet Propulsion LaboratoryCalifornia Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA USA 91103
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Dowdy, M W
- Hoehn, F W
- Vanderbrug, T G
- Publication Date: 1951-10
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Chassis; Combustion; Combustion chambers; Data collection; Design; Dynamometers; Engines; Evaluation; Exhaust gases; Experiments; Fuel consumption; Fuels; Gas analysis; Gases; Hydrocarbons; Ignition; Lean fuel mixtures; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Performance evaluations; Physical distribution; Shape; Testing; Testing equipment; Thermal efficiency; Traffic equivalence factor; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Configuration; Cylinders; Design criteria; Laboratory equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Combustion chamber gases; Lean fuel engine
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00133307
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JPL-5040-12-Vol-1 Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-OST-75-26.I
- Contract Numbers: RA-47-38-TMP-0223
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM