TECHNICAL DATA BASES REPORT. BALLAST AND FOUNDATION MATERIALS RESEARCH PROGRAM
Literature and other information sources pertaining to properties of granular materials, ballast and sub-ballast materials, fine-grained soils, and structural behavior models were reviewed. Presented in this report is a summary of the current technology relative to the following: (1) procedures for evaluating ballast and subgrade material properties; (2) factors which influence ballast and soil material properties; (3) relations between ballast and soil material properties and track system behavior and performance; (4) applicability of structural analysis models to predicting behavior of track system; (5) transfer functions relating track behavior to performance. Based on the review, it is concluded that ballast and subgrade materials receive inadequate considerations in analysis and design, more realistic models are available for structural analysis of track systems, transfer functions relating track behavior to performance are not available and climatic factors exert a significant influence on behavior and performance and must be given appropriate consideration in analysis and design of the track system.
- Record URL:
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, IL United States 61801
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Robnett, Q L
- Thompson, M R
- Hay, W W
- Tayabji, S D
- Knutson, R M
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 179 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Ballast (Railroads); Climate; Cohesive soils; Cold weather; Compressive strength; Deformation; Design; Failure; Foundations; Grain size (Geology); Granular materials; Loads; Mathematical models; Performance evaluations; Properties of materials; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Reviews; Soil mechanics; Soil stabilization; Soils; Stresses; Structural design; Subgrade (Pavements); Texture; Train track dynamics; Triaxial shear tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Soil properties; Subgrade stability; Track design; Triaxial tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Track response investigations
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00133229
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-76/138 Summ. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30038
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM