DEMONSTRATION OF ACOUSTICAL UNDERGROUND SURVEY SYSTEM IN THE WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREA
The purpose of the subject study was to demonstrate current capabilities of Acoustical Surveying in conjunction with tunnelling operations to aid in geologic determination and prediction. The Holosonics Acoustical Survey system served as the basic equipment for the survey program. Peripheral equipment such as a fast transient recorder, perforated paper tape punch and CRT storage monitor was used to implement the system. Interfacing and field packaging were fabricated by Holosonics to allow use as an integral system. New computer software was applied to handle the changed input format and to refine the output. Five-hundred-and-ten feet of drill hole were logged in five separate holes requiring four field mobilizations. Four short holes totalling 210 feet were logged under the equipment and software calibration phase. The fifth hole was a 270 feet long cored hole.
- Supersedes PB-247221.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Price, T O
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 136 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic detectors; Acoustic equipment; Acoustic signature; Acoustics; Data collection; Data processing; Geological events; Geological surveying; Geophysical prospecting; Holography; Measuring instruments; Metropolitan areas; Rocks; Sonar; Subways; Surveying; Surveying; Surveys; Tests; Tunneling; Tunnels
- Non-Preferred Terms: Soil surveying; Subsurface investigations
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic detection; Echo ranging; Geologic investigations; Geological conditions; Geophysical surveys; Rock tests; Underground surveying
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00133227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 82 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSF-GI-41356
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1981 12:00AM