FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF AUTOMOTIVE STRUCTURES UNDER CRASH LOADINGS. VOLUME I. SUMMARY
A research project was undertaken to develop a finite element computer program for use in the dynamic analysis of vehicle structures, including sheet metal, in a crash environment. This research program involved the following major tasks: A technique was developed for the finite element analysis of the dynamic response of plate beam structures involving very large displacements and rotations and elastic-plastic material behavior. The principal feature of this technique involves the decomposition of the element displacement field into rigid body components and deformation components thus allowing the use of a small deflection formulation in the analysis. A computer program was developed incorporating this analysis procedure for beam and plate elements and rigid links together with appropriate time integration procedures and material property descriptions.
- See also Volume 2, PB-251 610.
IIT Research Institute10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Welch, R E
- Bruce, R W
- Belytschko, T
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Computer programs; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Dislocation (Geology); Dynamic loads; Dynamic structural analysis; Elasticity (Mechanics); Finite element method; Loads; Mathematical models; Motor vehicles; Plastic deformation; Plate metal; Plates (Engineering); Research; Safety engineering; Sheet metal; Structural analysis; Traffic safety; Vehicle components
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Beams (Support); Metal plates; Metal sheets; Plates (Structural members)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00133224
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: IITRI-J6321-SR Final Rpt., DOT-HS-801-846
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-105-3-697
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM