FREIGHT CAR TRUCK DESIGN OPTIMIZATION: TRUCK ECONOMIC DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS
The objective of the program was to test the procedures for establishing the actual operating costs of Type I general purpose trucks. This report covers the progress of the program. A generalized truck cost information system was designed for the collection and integration of truck economic data. The collection of test data for off-line truck maintenance costs was completed. Test data collection was initiated for on-line truck maintenance and other associated costs and operating conditions. Preparatory work was begun to develop the appropriate data analysis guidelines. A preliminary analysis of some of the test data clearly revealed the truck's reported off-line wear and failure cost performance. Railroad companies and their suppliers are encouraged to consider adopting the tested procedures of the Truck Design Optimization economic methodology. A progressive implementation of this methodology will provide them with the timely opportunity to develop a truck economic evaluation capability of their own.
- Record URL:
- See also report dated Apr 75, PB-248 832.
Southern Pacific Transportation CompanyTechnical Research and Development Group
San Francisco, CA United States 94105
Washington, DC United States 20590
- April, D
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost estimating; Design; Economic models; Estimates; Freight cars; Information processing; Maintenance; Operating costs; Optimization; Railroad cars; Trucks
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers;
- Accession Number: 00133200
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TDOP-75-2, FRA/ORD-75-58A
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40023
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 2002 12:00AM