SCHEDULE CONTROL AND MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM STUDY
The report describes a study performed for the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) to develop recommendations and development plans for a Schedule Control and Management Information System. According to the authors, this system would be a further improvement upon and extension of the Automatic Vehicle/Bus Monitoring (AVM) System which was installed by CTA in 1970 and was the first of its kind in the U.S. Sections 1, 2, and 4 of the report constitute the equivalent of an executive summary. Section 1 presents an overview of the system, giving the purpose, background data, and scope of the study. Section 2 gives system requirements, functional information flow, and a brief system description. Section 4 details the implementation plan with a breakout of functions and task objectives including a discussion of schedules and personnel organization and responsibilities, and a detailed discussion of potential benefits. Section 3 comprises a comprehensive system description by subsystem including bus control, communications, communications processing, main processing, operations control center, route control, street displays, customer information system, and radio maintenance.
- Prepared in cooperation with Chicago Transit Authority, Ill.
International Business Machines Corporation18100 Frederick Pike
Gaithersburg, MD USA 20760
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Chicago Transit AuthorityMerchandise Mart Plaza, P.O. Box 3555
Chicago, IL USA 60654
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 557 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Automatic vehicle monitoring; Buses; Communication systems; Communications; Information display systems; Information processing; Management information systems; Monitoring; Personnel management; Radio; Routes; Scheduling; Transportation operations; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Monitors; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Illinois
- Old TRIS Terms: Displays
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00133104
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-09-0040-74-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1981 12:00AM