NOISE BARRIER SCREEN MEASUREMENTS: SINGLE BARRIERS
The Laboratory has undertaken an extensive series of experimental measurements to determine the effect of barrier screens on the transmission of sound from a point source. By exercising great care in the experimental procedures, the data spread was kept within a narrow band about 1 dB wide. The results of these experiments indicate that the correct attenuation curve (in decibels vs Fresnel number 'N') for a point source is given by Fresnel's equations. This is an important determination because computer programs based on the widely used National Cooperative Research Program Report 117 use a curve suggested by the work of Maekawa that is lower than Fresnel's curve. The results of calculations that convert this point source curve to the incoherent line source (and line source segment) case are also given. The measurements were conducted at two frequencies, 5.19 and 10.019 kHz, and employed a variety of source-to-wall and wall-to-microphone spacings. They were carried out indoors using pulse techniques to eliminate unwanted bounces and reflections.
- Record URL:
- Also pub. as Washington State Dept. of Highways, Olympia. Research Program report 24.1.
University of Washington, SeattleApplied Physics Laboratory, 1013 NE 40th Street
Seattle, WA United States 98105
Washington, DC United States 20590
Washington State Department of HighwaysHighway Administration Building
Olympia, WA United States 98501
- Foss, R N
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Barriers (Roads); Computer programs; Diffraction; Equations; Highways; Noise barriers; Noise control; Sound; Walls
- Uncontrolled Terms: Attenuation; Barriers; Experimental data; Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Pulse methods
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00133103
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: APL-UW-7509
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM