STUDY OF THE NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR DIRECTIONAL AND OTHER OFFICIAL SIGNS. OVERVIEW OF THEIR ADEQUACY
The report contains the results of an evaluation of the National Standards for Directional and Other Official Signs (Part 21, Section 131(c), Title 23, United States Code). It is the third in a series of three reports. The other reports in the series are: FHWA-RD-116--Study of the National Standards for Directional and other Official Signs. Synthesis Report. Truman M. Mast, Office of Research, Federal Highway Administration. FHWA-RD-117--Study of the National Standards for Directional and other Official Signs. Laboratory Evaluation. A. G. Klipple and K. M. Roberts, Office of Research, Federal Highway Administration. The results of an evaluation of the Standards conducted by the National Bureau of Standards are presented in this report. The evaluation method made use of a literature review, two different theoretical models and expert opinion. It was concluded that for many speeds, sign locations, and driver characteristics, signs conforming to the Standards but designed for extreme cases of message length and content are inadequate.
National Bureau of StandardsInstitute for Applied Technology
Washington, DC United States 20234
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Fechter, J V
- Pezoldt, V J
- Persensky, J J
- Lepkowski, J R
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Direction signs; Drivers; Evaluation; Highway traffic control; Highways; Human characteristics; Legibility; Location; Measurement; Position fixing; Public opinion; Reviews; Signs; Specifications; Standards; Symbols; Theoretical studies; Traffic signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver characteristics; Sign legend
- Old TRIS Terms: Directional sign
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00133101
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75-118 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 23 1976 12:00AM