SUPPLEMENTARY LOAD TESTING AND ULTIMATE LOAD TESTING: PART 2: MASONRY ARCH BRIDGES
Assessment methods for arch bridges are briefly outlined including the modified MEXE, the Mechanism, the Castigliano and finite element methods. Load testing undertaken by the Transport Research Laboratory to calibrate assessment methods is discussed. Redundant arch bridges and full scale models were tested to failure. The results are tabulated. The use of load testing for assessment is traced from 1957 to assessments carried out by TRL in the 1990s. Load testing carried out by British Rail is described. It is concluded that although computer-based analysis has improved comparisons between theory and actual measurements, there are still a number of drawbacks to load testing. For the covering abstract see IRRD 864951.
SURVEYOR32 VAUXHALL BRIDGE ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom SW1V 2SS
- PAGE, J
- Publication Date: 1994
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Bridges; Conferences; Test procedures
- ITRD Terms: 3085: Bearing capacity; 3455: Bridge; 8525: Conference; 6288: Test method
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures;
- Accession Number: 00668038
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Nov 2 1994 12:00AM