SUPPLEMENTARY LOAD TESTING AND ULTIMATE LOAD TESTING: PART 1: TRL EXPERIENCES
Work carried out by the Transport Research Laboratory on the load testing of bridges, other than masonry arch bridges, is described. Supplementary load testing and proof load testing are distiguished. Tests to the ultimate limit state were carried out on a number of older bridges of outmoded structural form and some more modern types of differing ages. Laboratory tests are described which were carried out on two half-scale models of beam and slab decks each having a 9m simply-supported span. Site tests are described which were carried out on a filler beam deck, an in-situ concrete beam and slab deck and two reinforced slab decks. Site tests are also described for a hogging-plate deck, two jack arch bridges and a trough deck bridge. It is suggested that in deciding whether to carry out load testing, each bridge must be considered on its own merits. For the covering abstract see IRRD 864951.
SURVEYOR32 VAUXHALL BRIDGE ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom SW1V 2SS
- CULLINGTON, D
- Publication Date: 1994
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Bridges; Conferences; Test procedures
- ITRD Terms: 3085: Bearing capacity; 3455: Bridge; 8525: Conference; 6288: Test method
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures;
- Accession Number: 00668037
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Nov 2 1994 12:00AM